- Family game meets Gamer’s game, 60 min or less
- Elegance (Easy rules that still provide interesting and engaging gameplay)
- Technical Excellence (Well-rounded rules without loopholes or imbalances)
- High Replay Value
- Both new and experienced authors may participate
- Only original, unpublished games
- No games that have been entered into other contests or submitted to a publisher during the time of this contest
- Rules may be sent in English or Korean
Required Submission Content
- Complete rules (.pdf or .doc or .ppt)
- 1-2 Pictures of the game in progress
- Game Description (not more than one A4-page)
- Author Information Sheet with (scanned) signature (find it here)
- Prototype (only if selected for the final round)
- Gold Prize: US$ 1000 + offer to publish the game at KBG and $1500 royalty down payment
- Silver Prize: US$ 500
Please be aware that according to Korean law 4.4% income tax applies to prices.
Jury and Selection Process
- The Jury will consist of the Korea Boardgames Editorial Team.
- Jury decisions are final and there is no right of appeal
- No reason for elimination from the contest will be given
- KBG employees are not allowed to participate in the contest
- The rights to the games remain with the authors at all times.
- Submissions should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- KGB is not to be held liable for any unsolicited mailings
- Entries that don’t fulfill the requirements outlined in section 3 of these rules will be disqualified
- In case of fraud by participants, KBG reserves the right to withdraw or reclaim prizes as appropriate
- Contest Announcement: January 18th
- Submission Period: January 18th – April 1st
- Evaluation: April 1st – April 18th
- Announcement of Finalists: April 18th
- Prototype Sending: April 18th – May 20th
- Finalist Testing: Until August 24th
- Announcement of Winners: August 24th
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is professional artwork required?
Q: Are games that are in crowdfunding during the contest allowed ?
Q: Are games that have been published as a free print&play game allowed ?
Q: Is only the rulebook required for the inital entry?
A: For the initial entry we need the rulebook, a minimum of 1-2 pictures of the game, the author information sheet and a basic overview of the game.
Q: Is using borrowed art for the submission allowed?
Q: Is it ok if the game uses a licensed theme?
Q: To enter a game designed by a group of designers, do we need a separate Author Information Sheet for each designer or is one designer in authority enough?
A: It’s your choice! But including all authors on one or several sheets will avoid any ambiguity or risk.
Feature image: Dave DeSandro.